Sunday, July 22, 2012

Super Troopers (2001) - Film Review

I have decided that I will write about films after I have seen them from now on. I will basically discuss the films I watch, and what I liked and disliked about each film. The first film I am going to talk about is the american comedy Super Troopers, directed by Jay Chandrasekhar back in 2001. The film also stars Chandrasekhar as Thorny, along with the Broken Lizard American comedy troupe, which contains Chandrasekhar, Kevin Hefferman, Steve Lemme, Paul Soter and Erik Stolhanske. They all work together with the production of their films, the screen-writing and acting. Another well known film made by the comedy troupe is Beerfest.

From the exposition of the film we are introduced to three teenagers in a car, who are smoking the 'ganja'. We are then introduced to Thorny, Chandrasekhars' character, a highway patrol cop who pulls the teenagers over. The cops then try and freak the teens out by driving away, and then reversing back and pulling the boys over again. Personally I thought it was just the teens starting to have bad side effects from the weed, but it turns out that the cops do all this weird stuff  to make their job more enjoyable for themselves.

We are then taken to a local diner bar, where we meet another police department, the local cops. It is very clear that their is a rivarily between the local cops and the highway patrol cops. The films plot is then set, which is the highway cops have to up their game or the government will get rid of the department due to budget cuts. The rest of the film is now about the highway cops trying to one up the local cops.

The film is filled with comedy which actually is funny, unlike most of the comedies I watch nowadays, it probably just hit the nail on the head with my type of humour though. I don't want this post to have any spoilers, so I wont mention any more of the plot. However one last thing, I'm not too sure if I liked the climax of the film, but I really enjoyed the final twist which caught me off guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment